Sunday, April 4, 2010

Another Walk Along the Thames

On Saturday, March 27 I took my third walk alone along the river Thames. I have decided this has been one of my favorite things to do in London. This time I was playing with a brand new camera and I started on Southbank across the river from Parliament. After I took a few pictures from there I crossed the bridge to the Northern side of the river and began walking East. I re-took some pictures I had lost from my other camera and I finally found THE London Bridge. That's right. London Bridge. It really doesn't draw too much attention to itself. Many people seem to think the ever recognizable Tower Bridge is London Bridge. It's not. At some point as I was walking I heard some church bells going NUTS! I sat for five minutes listening to the bells. I was thinking "wow, it's going to sound really quiet when these bells stop ringing." They didn't stop ringing for several minutes after that and I started getting tired of hearing them so I moved on. I contacted my friends and decided to meet them at The National Portrait Gallery. The gallery was pretty cool. I tried to see if any of the people in the portraits look like people I know. I was fascinated by some of the detail in the paintings. I especially loved Queen Elizabeth I's dresses. Another portrait I had to almost stick my nose to so I could see that the buttons on the man's coat were, in fact, painted and not real.

I met Levi and Tiffany at Highgate station on Palm Sunday to go to Westminster Abbey. We went to a 3pm service. So far this trip many of the landmarks have been surprisingly lacking in wonderment. Big Ben and Stonehenge, for example, were not as monumental as we had expected them to be. Westminster Abbey was the opposite. I was in awe. It is SO BIG. I wont even try to explain it's beauty because it's impossible to put into words. When the choir started to sing at the beginning of the service they were out of sight. I looked around the Abbey expecting to see little creatures called Voices bouncing off the ceiling and walls. The sound was everywhere! Very refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment