Monday, February 8, 2010

"Are We There Yet?!"


The fun began around 11am in the Des Moines airport when all 6 of our travelers had arrived. Already we were exchanging hopes and dreams for the trip, along with anxieties. Mostly we were just ready for it to start! We had a three hour layover in Chicago which was spent by the youngest four of our group walking around. Now might be the necessary time for introductions. Levi is the only young man traveling in our group. Gillian (not like Jillian, more like Gilligan) is just the same age as me. Mindy is a year younger and my roommate in Muswell Hill. Tiffany is our 29 year old travel newbie. (this trip was her first time on an airplane) And Dr. Hubbard is the professor for the majority of our classes this semester. Levi, Gillian, Mindy, and I bonded quickly over our excitement to be going overseas. As our 777 airplane took off from Chicago headed straight for England, we were all grinning from ear to ear. Gillian whispered to Levi, “Hey, we’re going to London” which was followed by giggles and jitters. Somehow Dr. Hubbard managed to sleep the entire way through the flight, while the rest of us endured extreme turbulence through hour 5 of our 8-hour flight. When the turbulence was cleared we each took a short nap until the screens in front of us showed that were no longer flying over the Atlantic.. we were flying over Ireland. The next couple of hours were a broken-record of giddy smiles, winks, and finally “we’re here!” It was hard to believe that our dreams had come true until we had been piled into a van that took us to where we would drop off Gillian and Tiffany at their home stay. As we waved good-bye to them and saw them introducing themselves to their host family, it finally hit me. I was about to go move into my London quarters where I will be staying for ten weeks. Ten Weeks!!! Mindy and I were dropped off in Muswell Hill and introduced to our host-dad, Roy. (yes.. If you’re wondering.. It IS the Roy that I googled. ) Roy is a cute little old man who has made himself known as a music journalist in the UK. Very cool. He showed us around our downstairs apartment and gave us a few minutes to freshen up. (video on face book to come.. Great accommodations!) Then Roy took us for a tour of Muswell Hill. We found internet cafés, patisseries, pizza pubs, and probably my favorite in the Hill… the 99 pent store. (basically the Dollar Tree of London) Roy led us back to the house because he figured we would be needing a rest. Mindy and I decided to go out to get ourselves some groceries and mobile devices. (no, friends and family, this does not mean that you can call my celly. It’s just so our little group can keep up with each other) By the time we were at the grocery store my mind and body were so shot that I could hardly make up my mind about what groceries I would need. We were already provided with milk, bread and cereal. I bought some bananas, apples, grainola bars, peanut butter, and two frozen pizzas. That should get me through two weeks. Probably more considering how I am a sucker for the patisseries. After groceries were stocked in our kitchen Mindy and I took a short nap. Then we met Gillian, Levi, and Tiffany in Muswell to get Gill a phone and to fix the problems Mindy and I were having with ours. Levi decided to get one too so now we all have cute little phones to contact each other with. We took the long way to find how to walk to Gill and Tiff’s place. Tiffany decided to stay in to sleep instead of find some dinner with us. We couldn’t believe it was only 4pm. We were so tired! I got out my map to find the short way from their place to mine. Through some alley ways!! I’m so proud of my map-reading skills. From our place we walked back up to the Hill (the high point of London.. Literally) and settled on some pastries for dinner. I had a cinnamon roll with raisins and a pistachio cupcake. We said good-bye to Levi as he ventured out on his own to walk back to his place. Gill and I dropped Mindy off at our place and I walked Gill halfway back to her place, through the allies so she wouldn’t have to face them alone. Then I walked home right as it got dark and rainy. It got cold FAST! But at least it’s not as cold as Iowa.. And there is LOTS of green!

1 comment: