Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wait for the Green Man


Last night before bed I got out my prayer journal and turned to the next available page. At the top of the page is written, “9-25-08 I’m excited to see what will be written on this page! Yay future!” So more than a year ago I picked a page, wondering what I would be up to a hundred pages later. Little did I know that page would hold details about my first day in London! How perfect is God’s timing?! It’s amazing to me that throughout all my documented conversations with God he had this planned all along. What a divine reminder that He knows all His plans for me. Today (Monday) we all met at Gillian and Tiffany’s home and ventured through the Tube system for our first time together. We missed the change so we had to get off a bit earlier than planned, but we were a good walking distance from our school. The five of us arrived early enough that we had time to hang out at the ULU café before class. The first class was a mini-lecture about the program and student services. For our lunch break we found a great little sandwich shop and had some decent paninis. (mine had pineapple and tomatoes on it, which were by far the most flavorful thing I have had in London thus far) After lunch we had our first British Life and Culture class with our British teacher, Bob. The class covered a brief history of the place, followed by a guided walking tour of our area. The streets are quite busy so at the cross walks there is a button to push that illuminates a green man across the street to tell you when to go. Bob said "wait for the green man!" and I thought it was adorable. Chinatown and the red light district are fairly near to us, and the British Museum is right down the street. There we saw the Rosetta Stone and Cleopatra’s mummy. The tube ride home was messed up again by a missed change, but we made it back. Our next adventure was to find an internet café in Muswell Hill. We went to our homes to get a laptop and then found a restaurant called The Giraffe which had free WiFi. I had a leftover pb&j from my packed lunch so I didn’t order anything but a glass of white wine. I was finally able to get online to post the previous blog and update my face book status. Now it is again time for bed so I can be rested for our first of ten Tuesdays in London. LONDON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment