Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stonehenge and Salisbury



Last Friday we hopped on a charter bus in central London at 8:45am and two hours later we pulled up to Stonehenge. It was not as large and majestic as I had expected it to be, but the value of the monument was still powerful. Some sort of spiritual rightness ebbed from the stones. It created a pure joy in each of us which provided for lots of laughter. We are so lucky that the day was bright and sunny with gorgeous, heavenly clouds which provided for some great pictures. We didn't spend too much time at Stonehenge because we would be spending our afternoon at Salisbury. I urge you to research a little bit about the town of Salisbury. Very interesting. The most significant part of Salisbury is the magnificant cathedral. The architecture inside and out could make anyone believe there is a God. My neck was sore after spending the whole afternoon looking up. Some of the noteable things in Salisbury Cathedral were the tombs for significant people. One of the men buried there had the most interesting story. He had been a soldier fighting abroad while his wife was getting involved with another man. The soldier's ship was lost at sea and the woman grievingly broke things off with her lover. A time later her husband shows up alive and well, and the whole town has a celebration for him. Two days later he died. Years after he was buried in Salisbury Cathedral his body was examined for cause of death. He had been poisoned. (sneaky wife, eh?) Sidenote.. they also found a rat in his skull that had eaten the soldiers brain and been poisened. The rat is in the Salisbury museum. (I forgot to go see it, shame on me) Another thing I must mention about Salisbury Cathedral is the beautiful stained glass windows. One of the windows was dedicated to one of my favorite Bible passages about the Fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) And the main window in the back was just gorgeous. Lots of blues and greens. I bought a cross necklace in the shop that has blue and green glass on it. Definetly a keepsake that will remind me of an important time in my life. I hope that my children's children will be able to visit Salisbury Cathedral, but I would pray that they wouldnt get crushed. Our guide showed us that the four main columns in the center of the church are bowing out. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment