Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pilgrimage


I got off the tube at Bank exit 8. Immediately I knew that I had encountered something wonderful. Starbucks! Then I turned the corner and in the near distance I could see the clock tower of St. Paul’s Cathedral. I was delighted because my destination was to find Millennium Bridge, but I could stop by St. Paul’s on my way. When I got there I sat for some quick reading reminders of the historical significance of the place and took some pictures. I looked at my map to decide how to get to Millennium from Paul’s. I saw that I was actually quite close and just around the corner would be the street that led right to where I needed to go. I walked to the front of Paul’s for pictures from another angle and when I turned around, I saw the Millennium a football field‘s distance away. As I walked toward the bridge I noticed that just beyond it was the Tate Museum of Modern Art. Halfway between the two land marks I paused to take turns looking at the two monuments. This is the moment when the outstanding balance between past and present struck me. I continued to walk and when I took my first steps onto the bridge I realized that I could see the infamous River Thames for the first time. When I was on the bridge and could see the horizon to the east and west I realized that the London Bridge was there to my left. The proximity of London landmarks astounds me. I dwelled in this moment and thought “I can never leave this city”. When I stepped onto the Museum grounds from the bridge I looked again at my map to see what was close. “Woah! The Globe Theater is right there!” I pointed myself in the right direction and began walking, thinking it would be a good ten minutes before I saw the Globe. Wrong again. Turn a corner and it’s right there! After a few pictures and turning back to retrace my steps I grinned and shook my head. I could not believe all of the things I could see in a short walk. Although I would have loved to share this experience with someone I was glad I had done it alone. It made me feel so big to be making these awesome discoveries on my own, yet so mall to remember what a tiny piece of the world and of history that I am. Cest La Vie. I feel so alive.

2 comments: