Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Leave it to the Americans


Sorry for the delay, folks! I have been busy and every time I have been on the internet (until now) the connection was slow. Last Wednesday after my pilgrimage I met at O'Neills with the gang. Tiffany and I had a deep conversation that lasted three hours. Although this O'Neills is a church converted into a pub, there is sill a strong spiritual atmosphere there which is very stimulating and homey for me. Tiffany and I stayed at the pub talking until it closed. Thursday didn't have any official class time but we were urged to come watch a movie called Passage to India with Miggs. It was an interesting movie about the English enculturation of India in the early 1900s. I wont go into details, but it was an enlightening way to show how the relationship between India and England began. That night we heard that the Duck and Dive pub (located one flight of stairs down from our classroom) would be hosting karaoke. I was so excited! We waited around for karaoke until (3 pitchers of mai tai's later) we found out karaoke had been cancelled. Then I was crushed and we had to walk a few blocks down to where someone told us there really would be karaoke. Gillian and I sang "Lady Marmelade". Levi and I were the DDs for the night. Here, a DD does not stand for "designated driver" but rather "double decker" look-out. We needed to make sure that the less-sober of the group didnt get hit by a bus. The most memorable moment of the night was when we got on the tube and Gillian noticed a guy sitting near us had McDonalds. She asked if she could eat his fries. For some reason he gave them to her. At one of the stops another man on our coach passed us on his way off and said "leave it to the Americans to want McDonalds no matter where they are". Ouch!

1 comment: